Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Computer's Back!

Song Obsession: The Veldt (Radio Edit) - Deadmau5

So, anyone that pays attention this blog, (and I'm not really sure that's anyone at the moment) may have noticed I haven't posted in almost a week. Well, that's because my computer was in the shop to get more memory and a clean-out. But it's back! So, huzzah, regular blog posts again! :D

Anyway, I really wanted to write about this yesterday... but I didn't have a computer, so here goes. Every 4 years, the week of Prom, my school has a "mock accident". Now, for everyone who's never heard of that or isn't familiar with the process, I'll give you the lowdown. Basically, the school gets a wrecked car, students volunteer, and then they arrange for the police, EMTs, and lifeflight to come to the scene as if it was a real accident.

And I got roped into being one of the 'victims'. To be honest, it was one of the most interesting/intense experiences of my life. And I don't have to be in a car accident to know what it feels like.

I was one of five 'victims', one of my friends, Lexie, was 'thrown from the car' so she died, Zac was the 'driver' and he was basically okay, his face was just all 'cut up', Graham was in the back with me and Chelsey, but he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, so he flew into the window, his left leg was amputated from the knee down and he had glass in his cheek and stuff like that. Me and Chelsey, the ones wearing seatbelts, only had minor bruises and neck/back pain. (Just goes to show - wear your dang seatbelt!)

Then, once we started, it was like acting on stage. And I've been told I was scary-realistic. (I made people cry...not sure if I should be proud or concerned.)

I guess the point of all this was just to share this very different experience with ya'll. And the emotions/feelings I experienced are definitely applicable to my writing. If you've never been in accident, think about how that might feel. What you might be thinking, your first thoughts, etc. If you have been in an accident, (and it isn't too painful to think about) think about what you thought and felt. And then apply it to some writing. I think it's a good strong emotions writing exercise, which will help if you're like me and sometimes it's hard to get really, really in-depth.

-JR

No comments:

Post a Comment