Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Book You Want to Read

Song Obession of the Day: Shake it Out (Glee Cast Version - originally performed by Florence + The Machine).

I say, "THE SARCASTIC GUIDE TO WRITING," (Laura Jennings) and you're probably saying, "Huh?"

Well, that's okay - but after reading this blog post you shouldn't be saying, "Huh," anymore. You should be saying, "Okay, where can I get this book?"

I'll begin with a story. A week or so ago I was surfing around the internet for fantasy world-building tips, (one can never have enough tips! That's my philosophy anyway) and I clicked on this link that said something like, "Five Rules for World-building." What I found was a very witty five rules that managed to point out flaws in Tolkein and Paolini, seemingly without the author breaking a sweat. And as I browsed her blog/website, I discovered there was more, so, so much more. Here's the description that made me laugh and cemented my decision to buy:

Looking for that spark of inspiration? Dying to know the secrets of what it means to be a successful author? Searching for how to drown the demons of doubt that keep you from putting your soul on paper?

This is not the book for you.

This caustic guide to writing offers a scathing look at why so much bad writing exists. Why the most annoying tropes show up again and again, and how to correct them. Elements of world-building, character, and dialogue are examined, along with tidbits like how to write animals, medieval warfare, and convincing magic. It also includes a special section on how to write fanfiction. Or rather, how not to write it and why doing so is a god-awful waste of your time.

Sectioned off in easy to read list formats, The Sarcastic Guide To Writing offers quick tips on how you're doing things wrong. Read it, and you will be enlightened. Not necessarily happy, but enlightened. There are other books out there on writing that will hold your hand, but they won't tell you the truth.

This one does.

If you're a crybaby, you probably shouldn't read this one.

Now imagine roughly 133 pages of this, and you have one of the most helpful and eye-opening books on writing that I have ever had the priviledge to read. Ms. Jennings gives tips, explains why she believes these things are important, (and they are - no doubt about it) and then gives examples of well-known books that either got it right or got it wrong. (Warning: If you're a die-hard Paolini fan, such as me, some of this will be hard to hear. But it's still worth reading, so suck it up, cupcake).

I finished reading it yesterday, having to take a few minutes at a time to read another set of five rules/tips. (The entire book is set up in that format, except for the very, very back where she has thoughtfully included a starter guide for world-building/character-building). The one section that isn't as strong as the rest would be the grammar, but she does have some good tips and for the hard stuff she suggests other books.

Overall, I loved the style in which she wrote because it's very relatable and I learned a lot from this, and am sure I'll keep this around throughout my entire writing process.

Want to know where you can buy it? So far it's only on Kindle, but even if you don't have one, you can always download the app on your phone or computer - trust me, this book will be worth it. Some of the best $8.00 I've ever spent.

-JR

THE SARCASTIC GUIDE TO WRITING

No comments:

Post a Comment